SENIOR DATA ANALYST
WHO IS SPR?
SPR is a digital technology consultancy that develops elegant solutions to transform the way people do business. We’re 300+ strategists, developers, designers, architects, consultants, thinkers, and doers in Chicago and Milwaukee. We work with 160 clients in 10 unique industries – everything from corporate finance and global logistics to local breweries and Chicago startups.
We think about the end users and rigorously apply the latest technologies and frameworks to address our clients’ needs. We enable companies to do more with data, engage with other people, build disruptive solutions, and operate productively. To do this, we hire smart technologists and sharp business leaders who are excellent communicators and have an interest in working on multiple projects across industries.
SPR offers a great environment for employees to learn, to build systems that make an impact, and to tackle exciting challenges. With our office’s “Maker Space”, you can explore your IoT side and develop fun projects with 3D printing and CNC machining. We operate in a fun, casual work environment and have great benefits including: competitive salary, bonuses, generous vacation time, big fitness incentives, and medical/dental/vision insurance.
By joining the SPR team, you’ll be using your brain, working hard and making an impact through your projects – and you’ll be rewarded for it.
WHAT IS THE POSITION?
The data team needs an individual with excellent analytical abilities, business acumen, and the ability to work quantitatively and qualitatively. Data analyst responsibilities include conducting full lifecycle analysis to determine business requirements and delivering on those requirements. A data analyst will often need to provide recommendations to streamline processes and improve data management techniques. The data analyst must be able to collaborate with business resources, technologists, and subject matter experts to locate and identify appropriate data. Must be able to pivot quickly when additional information or requirements are introduced.
- Use a variety of techniques (i.e. data management tools like Informatica, Talend, write SQL queries, and other statistical methods) to retrieve, analyze, interpret, and aggregate data
- Benchmark, compile, and document analysis results into easily understood format
- Provide recommendations for development and implementation of data collection systems, data analytics, and other strategies to optimize efficiency, quality, and meet business goals
- Trace and acquire data from primary or secondary data sources
- Identify, analyze, and interpret trends or patterns in complex data sets. Use results to identify cause of variances in applications, reporting, etc.
- Work with variety of data sources (i.e. Oracle, Hadoop, Flat Files, excel spreadsheets, copybooks etc.)
- Filter and “clean” data by reviewing reports, extracts, and performance indicators to locate and correct data anomalies
- Work with client stakeholders to prioritize business and information needs
- Locate and define new process improvement opportunities
- Minimum 3-5 years proven working experience as a data analyst, information analyst, or business analyst
- Strong analytical skillswith the ability to collect, analyze, and disseminate significant amounts of information for multiple projects with attention to detail and accuracy
- Quickly learn data infrastructure and be able to identify and document data flow
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills, including ability to translate across various lines of business
- Ability to discover and dissect raw, transformed, derived and other types of data
- Adept at digging into data using queries, analyzing patterns and quality, and presenting findings
- Knowledge of statistics and experience using statistical packages for analyzing datasets (Excel is a must, SPSS, SAS etc. is a plus)
- Technical expertisewith data models, database design development, data mining and segmentation techniques
- Experience in garnering and applying knowledge to changing business landscape and requirements
- Understanding of business operations for variety of business sizes to be able to provide tailored approaches during data analysis projects
- In-depth understanding of possible infrastructure complexity and roadblocks that may exist in a variety of industries (i.e. Financial, Insurance, Health, etc.) and organization sizes (i.e. start-up, mid, large)
- Experience with data governance, metadata management (lineage, taxonomies, aliases, etc.), data quality (cleansing, anomaly detection, dimensions), and data architecture
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mathematics, Economics, Computer Science, Information Management, Business Information, Finance, Statistics, Business Administration or other equivalent
If this sounds like the kind of challenge you would be up for every day, we would love to hear from you.