PRACTICE LEAD, AGILE & PROJECT SERVICES
WHAT IS THE POSITION?
The Practice Lead, Agile & Project Services is a versatile, results-driven individual who combines a passion for effective software development / project execution practices and management techniques with business acumen and a desire to grow an established practice. As a Practice Lead at SPR, this role not only leads the consultants within this practice, but also uses strong business management skills and client relationship building skills to grow the practice while maintaining profitability.
PROJECT MANAGEMENT AND GOVERNANCE AT SPR
Agile & Project Services is a for-profit professional services practice specializing in project management and leadership (including both traditional Project Manager and agile ScrumMaster roles), as well as related services like Agile coaching, training/coaching in market-leading project execution and tracking tools like JIRA and Microsoft Azure DevOps, etc.
SPR has a separate Quality and Risk Management (QRM) group that focuses on monitoring and supporting the health of all SPR projects. QRM is not a profit center, and is concerned with governance, risk mitigation and ultimately, client satisfaction. The Agile & Project Services practice collaborates closely with the QRM group but is a separate entity.
JOB DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
The Practice Lead, Agile & Project Services will, with assistance from other leaders within SPR.
- Work with SPR leaders in shaping the practice’s offerings and capabilities. Help to evolve the capabilities of the practice, which currently include primarily project management and ScrumMaster consulting roles, into a well-rounded, full service set of services – which may include Agile coaching, Atlassian JIRA and Microsoft ADO training/adoption, and other related offerings.
- Establish go-to-market messaging aligned with marketplace needs for agile coaching, agile project leadership, and traditional project management services.
- Establish the practice’s annual financial goals (revenue, expenses, and profit) and track key dashboard metrics aligned with achieving goals.
- Work with SPR’s sales group on sales pursuits, for project management / Agile staff augmentation engagements as well as large SPR project efforts which will be led by people within this practice.
- Establish and maintain relationships with clients to ensure high-quality delivery of services and achievement of customer satisfaction.
- Work with SPR’s Quality & Risk Management (QRM) group to:
- Contribute to proposals and statements of work, ensuring that scope is clearly defined, and that important risks are identified and discussed. For fixed price engagements in particular, assess risk in financial terms, and ensure that sufficient contingency is included in pricing.
- Participate in and/or lead project review sessions, in which we discuss project health factors with project leadership (project managers / lead architects).
- Evolve and refine internal review/governance processes and communication, to ensure efficient flow of critical information (project risks, etc.), and to properly support our project managers and software development teams.
- Attract and retain the practice’s talent by working closely with SPR’s recruiting and HR departments to sustain a high competency level within the practice.
- Establish training and career development plans for consultants within the practice, fostering career growth and aligning skills with market demand.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s Degree in appropriate field of study
- 8+ years of direct experience in the field of project management
- 2+ years of direct experience with Agile (e.g. Scrum, XP)
- Experience in consulting / professional services
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience managing other professionals in the field of project management and/or Agile project and coaching services
- Responsibility for establishing and delivering to a financial budget
- Experience in preparing proposals and sales acumen